2020 Senior Citizen’s Assessment Freeze
New On-Line Application Process
The mailing of the Senior Citizen’s Assessment Freeze Renewal Notice letter has been postponed until a later date yet to be determined.
The big change this year is a paper copy of the PTAX-340 Assessment Freeze Application form will not be included in the mailing to senior citizens. The County has elected to have the annual renewal application be completed on-line.
The deadline to renew the Senior Citizen Assessment Freeze is July 1st,. The deadline may be extended. There is sufficient time to wait until this health crisis has passed. Remain safe and do not leave your home.
How To Apply:
Click the link below for detailed information
Qualifications and Documentation:
To qualify, applicants must:
• Be 65 years of age or older
• Own the property as their principal residence January 1, 2019 and January 1, 2020
• Have a total household income of $65,000 or less in 2019
• This exemption must be renewed on an annual basis.
• Please have your photo ID showing the property address for the exemption being applied for.
• You will need your tax return, 1040 or 1040SR or household income documents for the tax year of 2019 for all household members.
The Senior Freeze provides limited-income seniors with protection against real estate tax increases due to rising property values. It is not a tax freeze or a tax reduction and does not protect against increased taxes due to tax rate increases. Because this exemption provides for a base year frozen assessment, it will potentially provide increased savings each year a senior is eligible.
The County has made this commitment to file on-line. There is a cost savings where County personnel is not processing the paperwork. My office understands this will create difficulties for our seniors. We are here to help.